All items on the consent calendar will be voted on by the Board immediately after the start of the public meeting. Any item may be removed from the consent calendar by a Board member or by someone in the audience who would like to speak on that item. The following items are on the consent calendar:
Consent Item #
Public Meeting to Consider 11 Research Proposals
1. “Behavioral Strategies to Bridge the Gap Between Potential and Actual Savings in Commercial Buildings,” University of California, Davis, $134,981, Proposal No. 2685-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
3. “Measuring the Climate Impact of Residential Buildings: GreenPoint Rated Climate Calculator Version 2,” University of California, Berkeley, $100,000, Proposal No. 2693-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
4. “Are There Any Counteracting Effects that Reduce the Global Warming Benefits Attributed to Diesel and Other Black Carbon Controls,” University of California, San Diego, $114,751, Proposal No. 2690-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
5. “Improving Regional VOC Emission Estimates Using An Airborne PTRMS EDDY Flux Measurement System,” University of California, Berkeley, $400,000, Proposal No. 2698-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
6. “Mobile Platform III: Characterizing Spatially Inhomogeneous Non-Criteria Pollutants in the Los Angeles Air Basin,” University of California, Los Angeles, $290,000, Proposal No. 2697-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
7. “On-road Measurement of Emissions from Heavy-Duty Diesel Trucks: Impacts of Fleet Turnover and ARB’s Truck and Bus Rule,” University of California, Berkeley, $300,000, Proposal No. 2696-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
8. “Peripheral Blood Gene Expressions in Subjects with Coronary Artery Disease and Exposure to Particulate Air Pollutant Components and Size Fractions,” University of California, Irvine, $274,931, Proposal No. 2699-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
9. “Modeling Optimal Transition Pathways to a Low Carbon Economy in California: Impacts of Advanced Vehicles and Fuels on the Energy System,” University of California, Davis, $278,356, Proposal No. 2700-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
10. “Inverse Modeling to Verify California’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory,” California State University, Hayward, $150,000, Proposal No. 2695-266. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
Public Meeting to Consider Approval of the CoachellaValley PM10 Redesignation Request and Maintenance Plan
Motion and Vote
Staff will present to the Board for approval the Coachella Valley PM10 Redesignation Request and Maintenance Plan. The CoachellaValley has attained the 24-hour PM10 National Ambient Air Quality Standard by the required 2006 attainment date.
Notice of Public Hearing to Consider Proposed Amendments to New Passenger Motor Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards for Model Years 2012-2016 to Permit Compliance Based on Federal Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards
Staff will present amendments to California’s regulations to control greenhouse gas emissions from new light-duty vehicles, to allow manufacturers to demonstrate compliance in the 2012 though 2016 model years based on compliance with the national greenhouse gas regulations.
Public Meeting to Provide an Overview of the Role of Offsets in the Greenhouse Gas Cap-and-Trade Program
Staff will present to the Board an overview of the role of offsets in the greenhouse gas cap-and-trade program as described in the preliminary draft regulation for a California greenhouse gas cap-and-trade program, which was released on November 24, 2009.
Notice of Public Meeting to Consider a Process for Adoption of Greenhouse Gas Accounting Protocols for Compliance Purposes, Including Withdrawal of Board Adoption of Voluntary Protocols
The Board will consider a resolution describing a process for consideration of greenhouse gas emission reduction protocols for compliance purposes to support the development of a cap-and- trade regulation. The process includes environmental review for protocols to be used for compliance purposes and withdrawal of Board adoption of voluntary protocols.
Public Meeting to Present the 2009 Haagen-Smit Clean Air Award
The 2009 Haagen-Smit Clean Air Award recipients will be announced and highlighted. The Air Resources Board annually presents the award to esteemed persons in the air quality community – scientists, legislators, professors, activists, business leaders, and others who have made significant contributions toward improving air quality and public health.
The Board will hold a closed session, as authorized by Government Code section 11126(e), to confer with, and receive advice from, its legal counsel regarding the following pending or potential litigation:
Central Valley Chrysler-Jeep, Inc. et al. v. Goldstene, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, on appeal from U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Fresno), Case No. 08 17378.
Fresno Dodge, Inc. et al. v. California Air Resources Board et al., Superior Court of California (Fresno County), Case No. 04CE CG03498.
General Motors Corp. et al. v. California Air Resources Board et al., Superior Court of California (Fresno County), Case No. 05CE CG02787.
Green Mountain Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-Jeep, et al. v. Crombie, 508 F.Supp.2d 295, U.S. District Court Vermont (2007), appeal to U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Case Nos. 07-4342-cv(L) and 07-4360-cv(CON).
Pacific Merchant Shipping Association v. Goldstene, U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal Fresno), Case No. 2:09-CV-01151-MCE-EFB.
American Trucking Association, et al. v. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, et al., U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, Case No. 09-1090.
POET, LLC, et al. v. Goldstene, et al., Superior Court of California (FresnoCounty), Case No. 09CECG04850.
Rocky Mountain Farmers Union, et al. v. Goldstene, U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Fresno), Case No. 1:09−cv−02234−LJO−DLB.
National Petroleum & Refiners Association, et al. v. Goldstene, et al., U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Fresno) Case No. 1:10-cv-00163-AWI-GSA.
OPPORTUNITY FOR MEMBERS OF THE BOARD TO COMMENT ON MATTERS OF INTEREST
Board members may identify matters they would like to have noticed for consideration at future meetings and comment on topics of interest; no formal action on these topics will be taken without further notice.
OPEN SESSION TO PROVIDE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON SUBJECT MATTERS WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE BOARD
Although no formal Board action may be taken, the Board is allowing an opportunity to interested members of the public to address the Board on items of interest that are within the Board’s jurisdiction, but do not specifically appear on the agenda. Each person will be allowed a maximum of three minutes to ensure that everyone has a chance to speak.
TO SUBMIT WRITTEN COMMENTS ON AN AGENDA ITEM IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING GO TO:
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT THE CLERK OF THE BOARD 1001 I Street, 23rd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 322-5594 ARB Homepage: http://www.arb.ca.gov
To request a special accommodation or language needs for any of the following:
• An interpreter to be available at the hearing. • Have documents available in an alternate format (i.e. Braille, Large print) or another language. • A disability-related reasonable accommodation.
Please contact the Clerk of the Board at (916) 322-5594 or by facsimile at (916) 322-3928 as soon as possible, but no later than 10 business days before the scheduled Board hearing. TTY/TDD/Speech to Speech users may dial 711 for the California Relay Service.
Para solicitar alguna comodidad especial o necesidad de otro idioma para alguna de las siguientes:
• Un intérprete que esté disponible en la audiencia • Tener documentos disponibles en un formato alterno (por decir, sistema Braille, o en impresión grande) u otro idioma. • Una acomodación razonable relacionados con una incapacidad.
Por favor llame a la oficina del Secretario del Consejo de Recursos Atmosféricos al (916) 322-5594 o envíe un fax al (916) 322-3928 no menos de diez (10) días laborales antes del día programado para la audiencia. Para el Servicio Telefónico de California para Personas con Problemas Auditivos, ó de teléfonos TDD pueden marcar al 711.
SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AT MEETINGS OF THE CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD