WEDNESDAY, May 11, 2011
1. CALL TO ORDER.
2. ROLL CALL.
3. GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT. Public comments will be heard at 10 a.m. for no more than 30 minutes. For attendees who are unable to attend the early comment period, there will be a second comment period prior to or after the lunch break. Agenda items will begin or resume after public comment.
SOUTH COAST DISTRICT (ORANGE COUNTY)
4. ADMINISTRATIVE CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Application No. 5-11-29 (Kupper, Newport Beach) Application of Bob Kupper to remove 26' x 20' U-shaped float, 3' x 20' wood gangway, and three 12" piles and replace with new float, gangway, and steel piles of same dimensions in same location. The dock system will be composed of Douglas Fir and Timber Tech decking, at 204 South Bay Front, Newport Beach, Orange County. (JDA-LB)
5. CONSENT CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES. Motion and Vote
Application No. 5-10-134 (Matthew & Linda Tachdian, Seal Beach) Application of Matthew & Linda Tachdian to add and remodel 2,420 sq.ft. single family home over basement, project includes: (1) 1,460 sq.ft. addition to basement; (2) 200 sq.ft. addition to garage; (3) 160 sq.ft. addition to first floor; and (4) new 2,280 sq.ft. second floor. and 400 sq.ft. attached 2-car garage on beach front lot, resulting in 6,120 sq.ft., 2 to 3-story single family home with attached 600 sq.ft., 2.5-car garage basement, with maximum height of structure at 25-feet above finished grade. Grading consists of 450 cu.yds. of export to location outside of coastal zone, at 700 Ocean Avenue, Seal Beach, Orange County. (FSY-LB)
SAN DIEGO DISTRICT
6. CONSENT CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES. Motion and Vote
a. Application No. 6-11-20 (Lane, San Diego) Application of Bill and Carol Lane to demolish 787 sq.ft. home and construct new 3-story 1,431 sq.ft. home on 1,275 sq.ft. lot, at 748 Windemere Court, Mission Beach, San Diego, San Diego County. (MA-SD)
SOUTH COAST DISTRICT (Orange County)
7. DEPUTY DIRECTOR’S REPORT FOR ORANGE COUNTY. Report by Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, LCP matters not requiring public hearings, and on comments from the public. For specific information contact the Commission's Long Beach office at (562) 590-5071.
8. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
9. COASTAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS. See AGENDA CATEGORIES. Attention: Items appearing in this section of the agenda may be moved to the Consent Calendar for this area by the Executive Director when, prior to taking up the Consent Calendar, staff and the applicant are in agreement on the staff recommendation. If an item is moved to the Consent Calendar it will be processed in the same manner as other Consent Calendar items (See AGENDA CATEGORIES) except that if that item is subsequently removed from the Consent Calendar by a vote of three or more commissioners, the item will be acted upon at the meeting in the order in which it originally appears on this Meeting Notice and in the manner Coastal Permit Applications are processed. The purpose of this procedural change is to expedite the Commission's coastal development permit process.
a. Application No. 5-10-12 (Manzo,
Corona Del Mar) Application of Patricia Manzo to install new private boat dock system in Newport Bay where none currently exists, seaward of a residence, consisting of: "U" shaped floating dock with 2 - 4' x 46' fingers and 6' x 16' headwalk supported by 3-12" steel pipe piles; 4' x 187’ pier approach supported by 18-10" steel pipe piles; 3' x 24 gangway; and 10' x 14' pier platform support by 4 -10" steel pipe piles and dock system composed of Douglas fir, at 2223 Bayside Dr, Newport Beach (Corona Del Mar), Orange County. (FSY-LB)
b. Application No. 5-10-284 (Morally,
Newport Beach) Application of John Morally to add to existing pier and add to and relocate boat dock float; install new 4’ x 6’ float extension beyond pierhead line supported by relocated 14” concrete pile; install new 4’ x 8’ pier lobe attached to existing 10’ x 14’ pier platform supported by new 12” diameter concrete pile; install new 2’ x 26’ section to existing float supported by relocated 14” concrete pile; and relocation of 14” concrete pile. The existing pier and gangway will be re-used and dock system will be composed of Douglas fir and Trex decking, at 411 Edgewater Pl, Newport Beach, Orange County. (FSY-LB)
Motion and Vote
c. Application No. 5-10-298 (Advanced Group 99-D, (AERIE), Newport Beach) Application of Advanced Group 99-D to demolish 13,688 sq. ft., 4-level, 14-unit apartment while retaining an on-grade stairway on the bluff face, demolition of a 2,810 sq. ft. single-family residence and construction of a new 51,443 sq. ft., 7-unit, 33-foot tall, 5-level condominium structure (3 levels visible from grade/street level and all five levels visible from seaward side), with 18 parking spaces and common amenities including fitness facility, meeting room, patios, pool and spa, hardscape/landscape, grading consisting of 9,810 cu. yds. of cut; lot line adjustment to merge two lots and a portion of a third lot into a single 61,284 sq. ft. lot for residential purposes; and tentative tract map to subdivide the air space for seven residential condominium units, at 201-205 & 207 Carnation Ave & 101 Bayside Place (Corona Del Mar), Newport Beach, Orange County. (LR-LB) [POSTPONED]
SAN DIEGO DISTRICT
10. DEPUTY DIRECTOR'S REPORT. Report by Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, LCP matters not requiring public hearings, and on comments from the public. For specific information contact the Commission's San Diego office at (619) 767-2370.
11. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
12. LOCAL COASTAL PROGRAMS (LCPs) See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
13. NEW APPEALS. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Appeal No. A-6-OCB-11-26 (Cox
, San Diego) Appeal by Ocean Beach Planning Board from decision of City of San Diego granting permit with conditions to Alvin Cox to demolish 1,250 sq.ft., 1-story duplex and construct 1,749 sq.ft., 3-story home with attached carport on 2,500 sq.ft. lot, at 5164 West Point Loma Blvd., Ocean Beach, San Diego, San Diego County. (ES-SD)
CLOSED SESSION. At a convenient time during the meeting, the Commission (CCC) will have a closed session to discuss items of pending litigation, including:
City of Dana Point v. CCC (Headlands Reserve LLC, RPI) Govt. Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
City of Malibu v. CCC (Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy et al., RPI) Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
LandWatch San Luis Obispo County v. Cambria Community Services District et al. Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Laguna Terrace Park LLC v. CCC Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Loynes et al. v. CCC Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Mahon v. CCC et al. Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Malibu Colony Neighbors Alliance et al. v. CCC (Cal. Dep’t of Parks & Recreation, RPI) Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Ramirez Canyon Preservation Fund v. CCC (Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy et al., RPI) Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Smith et al. v. Cal. Dep’t of Fish & Game, CCC Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Sterling v. CCC Govt. Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Westbridge Capital, LLC et al. v. CCC Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Wetlands Defense Fund et al. v. CCC (Cal. Dep’t of Parks & Recreation et al., RPI) Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Wildman v. CCC et al. Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A).
Norris et al. v. CCC Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A)
Hagopian v. State of California, CCC Govt.Code § 11126(e)(2)(A)
The Commission is authorized to discuss these matters in a closed session pursuant to Government Code Sections 11126(e)(2)(A) and (2)(C). In addition, the Commission may consider matters which fall under Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)(B) or (2)(C). The Commission may also consider personnel matters which fall under Government Code Section 11126(a).
14. APPROVAL OF MINUTES.
15. COMMISSIONERS' REPORTS.
16. CONSERVANCY REPORT.
17. SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS CONSERVANCY REPORT.
18. DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL'S REPORT.
19. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT including reports and possible Commission action on legislation and water quality.
a. Interagency Agreement. Public hearing and Commission authorization to enter into an Interagency Agreement with State Personnel Board for personnel data processing services. (SMH-SF)
WORKSHOP [To be held at 1:30 p.m.]
20. Single Economic Parcels: Assessing Unity of Ownership and related topics. The workshop will be a moderated public discussion and review of the legal principles and caselaw associated with these aspects of takings law.
Speakers are :
Professor Steven Eagle (George Mason University)
Professor John Echeverria (University of Vermont)
Professor Frank Gevurtz (McGeorge School of Law)
Professor Eric Talley (UC Berkeley)
Return to Commission