EUREKA PUBLIC MARINA WHARFINGER BUILDING #1 MARINA WAY EUREKA, CA 95501
Phone number will only be in service when the meeting is in session.
Please note: agenda items are subject to change.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2013
1. CALL TO ORDER.
2. ROLL CALL.
3. AGENDA CHANGES
4. GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT. Public comments will be heard at 8:30 am for items not on the agenda, for no more than 30 minutes. For those unable to attend the early comment period, there will be additional comment time available later in the day.
NORTH COAST DISTRICT
5. DEPUTY DIRECTOR'S REPORT. Report by Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, LCP matters not requiring public hearings, and on comments from the public. For specific information contact the Commission's Arcata office at (707) 826-8950. [APPROVED]
a. Briefing on the Humboldt Bay Sea Level Rise Adaptation Planning Project. The briefing will include a presentation by the project manager and discussion.
6. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES. [APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
a. City of Trinidad LCP Amendment No. LCP-1-TRN-13-205-2 (Vacation Dwelling Units). Public hearing and action on request by the City of Trinidad to amend Implementation Plan to establish development standards for vacation dwelling units. (JRB-A) [POSTPONED]
a. Appeal No. A-1-TRN-13-007 (Morgan, Trinidad) Appeal by Tsurai Ancestral Society from decision of City of Trinidad granting permit with conditions to Michael Morgan for modification of permit granted for Trinidad Bay Bed and Breakfast to modify special conditions regarding water use and septic system maintenance, at 560 Edwards St., Trinidad, Humboldt County. (JRB-A) [POSTPONED]
9. COASTAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS. See AGENDA CATEGORIES. Attention: Items appearing in this section of the agenda may be moved to the Consent Calendar for this area by the Executive Director when, prior to taking up the Consent Calendar, staff and the applicant are in agreement on the staff recommendation. If an item is moved to the Consent Calendar it will be processed in the same manner as other Consent Calendar items (See AGENDA CATEGORIES) except that if that item is subsequently removed from the Consent Calendar by a vote of three or more commissioners, the item will be acted upon at the meeting in the order in which it originally appears on this Meeting Notice and in the manner Coastal Permit Applications are processed. The purpose of this procedural change is to expedite the Commission's coastal development permit process.
a. Application No. 1-12-017 (California Department of Transportation, Mendocino Co.) Application of California Department of Transportation to (1) Install metal beam guard rail (MBGR) adjacent to southbound lane on Highway 1 from Navarro River Bridge (PM 40.27) to existing guard rail at post mile (PM) 40.89; (2) upgrade existing guard rail connected to Navarro River Bridge; (3) widen portions of Route 1 to provide two 12-ft. lanes and up to 4-ft. southbound shoulder; (4) install bicycle warning signs; and (5) repair small portion of Highway 128 at junction of Highway 1, at North of Elk, Mendocino County. (TG-A) [APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
Motion and Vote
b. Application No. 1-13-009 (Border Coast Regional Airport Authority, Del Norte Co.)[ADDENDUM] Application of Border Coast Regional Airport Authority to maintain McNamara Field airport in compliance with FAA standards by constructing runway safety areas. Also includes performing mitigation work on-site and at off-site locations within the region which may include Pacific Shores, Point St. George, Bay Meadows, and other locations. McNamara Field is located at 150 Dale Rupert Rd., Crescent City, Del Norte County. (MBK-A) [APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
Motion and Vote
c. Application No. 1-13-010 (Nylander, Humboldt Co.) Application of Allen U. & Cheryl Nylander to repair 300 ft.-long section of existing agricultural levee by placing 640 cu.yds. of rock armoring along the levee, at 3800 Park St., Eureka, Humboldt County. (ND-A) [Moved to Consent Calendar, APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
d. Appeal No. A-1-MEN-10-015 (Bethel & Hupp, Mendocino Co.) Appeal by Commissioners Shallenberger & Bloom from decision of County of Mendocino granting permit with conditions to Barbara Bethel & John Hupp for material modification to remove guest cottage creating guest bedroom, alter the approved building footprint, and add additional windows to all elevations of the residence, at 9401 Brewery Gulch Road (Road 500B), Mendocino, Mendocino County. (TG-A) [APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
Motion and Vote
ENERGY, OCEAN RESOURCES and FEDERAL CONSISTENCY
10. ENERGY, OCEAN RESOURCES and FEDERAL CONSISTENCY. Report by the Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, negative determinations, matters not requiring public hearings, and status report on offshore oil & gas exploration & development. For specific information contact the Commission’s Energy, Ocean Resources, and Federal Consistency Division office at (415) 904-5240. [APPROVED]
11. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES. [APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
c. CD-0202-13 (Bureau of Land Management, Humboldt Co.) Consistency Determination by Bureau of Land Management for Lost Coast Headlands Activity Plan, located south of Eel River estuary in Humboldt County. (LS-SF) [Moved to Consent Calendar, APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
Future Meetings: The next meetings of the Coastal Commission are October 9-11 in San Diego and November 13-15 in Newport Beach.