Doubletree Guest Suites Marquee Ballroom 1707 Fourth Street Santa Monica, California 90401
Mike Chrisman, Secretary for Resources, Council Chair Linda Adams, Secretary for Environmental Protection John Garamendi, Lieutenant Governor, Chair of the State Lands Commission Pedro Nava, State Assemblymember, Ex Officio Member Darrell Steinberg, State Senator, Ex Officio Member
1. Welcome and council member announcements Mike Chrisman, Secretary for Resources, council Chair
2. ACTION: Consideration and possible authorization of changes to the council’s meeting procedures, originally adopted on June 8, 2006
3. ACTION: Consideration to allow a voting representative for absent council members for this meeting pursuant to the council’s operating procedures
4. PANEL: Prevention and reduction of marine debris off California’s coast* Moderated by Drew Bohan , Executive Policy Officer, Ocean Protection Council
Objective: Panelists will engage in a discussion with the council about debris in the marine environment, its impacts to California’s coast and ocean resources, and the proposed marine debris resolution. Following this discussion and question/answer period, the council will hear public comment on the issue.
Panelists: Jonathan Bishop, Regional Water Quality Control Board Martin Deidrich, Kean Coffee, zero waste small business Bridgett Luther, Department of Conservation Captain Charlie Moore, Algalita Marine Research Foundation Gary Petersen, California Integrated Waste Management Board Eben Schwartz, California Coastal Commission Tim Shestek, American Chemistry Council
5. ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of a resolution (adopted resolution) identifying the council’s position on marine debrisand actions for its reduction and prevention Rebecca Pollock, Project Manager, State Coastal Conservancy
6. ACTION: Consideration of the California Fisheries Fund and possible 1) determination that it is a high priority and 2) authorization for the council Secretary to take actions necessary to provide up to $2,000,000 for its implementation Neal Fishman, Deputy Executive Officer, State Coastal Conservancy
7. PRESENTATION: Marine spatial planning in Australia: Establishing ocean zones and marine protected areas in the Great Barrier Reef Jon Day, Director of Conservation, Heritage, and Indigenous Partnerships, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
8. Public comment on non-agenda items* (Public comment received prior to meeting)
9. Report from the Executive Policy Officer Drew Bohan, Executive Policy Officer, Ocean Protection Council
10. Report from the council Secretary Sam Schuchat, Executive Officer, State Coastal Conservancy, council Secretary
11. ACTION: Consideration of a second grant cycle for scientific research projects supporting OPC priorities administered by California Sea Grant and USC Sea Grantand possible 1) determination that it is a high priority, and 2) authorization for the council Secretary to take actions needed to provide up to $1,000,000 for its implementation Rebecca Pollock, Project Manager, State Coastal Conservancy
12. ACTION: Consideration of a study to examine grid reliability and future resource adequacy for regions currently supplied by coastal power plants using once-through coolingand possible 1) determination that it is a high priority and 2) authorization for the council Secretary to take actions needed to provide up to $200,000 for its completion Christine Blackburn, Project Manager, State Coastal Conservancy
13. ACTION: Designation of the Executive Director of the California Ocean Science Trust(CalOST) as science adviser to the OPC; consideration of actions CalOST may take to coordinate and disseminate ocean science and technology information among state agencies and the OPC; and possible: 1) determination that these actions are a high priority for ocean conservation and 2) authorization for the council Secretary to take actions needed to provide up to $200,000 for their completion Laura Engeman, Project Manager, Sea Grant Fellow, State Coastal Conservancy
14. ACTION: Consideration of the Reef Check California Programand possible 1) determination that it is a high priority and 2) authorization for the council Secretary to take actions necessary to provide up to $243,500 for its implementation Deborah Hirst, Project Manager, State Coastal Conservancy
Note: Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to Carmen Estrada-Polley at (510) 286-1015.
Please join Heal the Bay for Breakfast by the Beach at the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium Prior to the Ocean Protection Council meeting for an informal reception, with light breakfast When: February 8 from 8:00-9:00am Where: Santa Monica Pier Aquarium 1600 Ocean Front Walk Santa Monica, CA 90401 RSVP: To Sarah Abramson by Friday, February 2 (310) 451-1500 x163 or email@example.com
* Please fill out a Panel Question Request card if you have a question for the panelists during the marine debris panel. Questions will be posed by the panel Moderator. Public comment on the panel discussion will be heardafter the panel’s question/answer period is complete. Please use the Request to Speak card to provide public comment. * Please fill out a Request to Speak card to provide public comment on non-agenda items or on a specific agenda item. Comment on agenda items will be taken following each item.