OPC Meeting Agenda May 12, 2011 CalEPA Building 1001 I Street Sacramento, CA 95812-2815
John Laird, Secretary for Natural Resources, Council Chair Linda Adams, Secretary for Environmental Protection Gavin Newsom, Lieutenant Governor, Chair of the State Lands Commission Susan Golding, Public Member Geraldine Knatz, Public Member Fran Pavley, State Senator Toni Atkins, State Assemblymember
Thursday May 12, 2011 1:00 p.m.*
1. Welcome and Council Member Announcements Secretary Laird, Council Chair
2. Public comment on non-agenda items
3. Report from the Executive Director Amber Mace, Council Executive Director
4. Report from the Secretary Sam Schuchat, Council Secretary
5. Report from the Science Advisor Skyli McAfee, Executive Director, California Ocean Science Trust
6. SPOTLIGHT ON SCIENCE: Integrating Fisheries Management with Marine Protected Areas Steve Gaines, PhD, Professor of Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology, Dean, Donald Bren School of Environmental Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara
7. PANEL: Sustainable Fisheries: A Look Ahead
A panel discussion will be moderated by Sam Schuchat, Council Secretary. Panelists will be introduced at the meeting.
8. ACTION: Authorize disbursement of up to $990,000 to California Wildlife Foundation to assist the California Department of Fish and Game in developing a Spiny Lobster Fishery Management Plan Valerie Termini-McCormick, Project Manager, OPC Sonke Mastrup, Deputy Director, California Department of Fish and Game
Motion and Vote
9. DISCUSSION: California Sustainable Seafood Protocol
Valerie Termini-McCormick, Project Manager, OPC Jim Humphreys, President, Marine Stewardship Council
10. PRESENTATION: Toxicity Issues in California Fisheries
Sam Schuchat, Council Secretary Buffy Martin Tarbox, GotMercury Robert K. Brodberg, Ph.D, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA)
*Note: Agenda items may be reordered at the discretion of the council chair.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to Lawrence Matthews at (510) 286-1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this council meeting should contact Mr. Matthews no later than five days prior to meeting.