Meeting Agenda Friday, December 16, 2011 11:00am to 3:00pm Sierra Hearing Room – CalEPA Building 1001 I Street Sacramento, CA 95812-2815
John Laird, Secretary for Natural Resources, Council Chair Matt Rodriquez, Secretary for Environmental Protection Gavin Newsom, Lieutenant Governor, Chair of the State Lands Commission Susan Golding, Public Member Geraldine Knatz, Public Member Fran Pavley, State Senator Toni Atkins, State Assemblymember
Friday December 16, 2011
1. Welcome and Council Member Announcements Secretary Laird, Council Chair
2. Report from the Executive Director Amber Mace, Executive Director, OPC
3. Report from the Secretary Sam Schuchat, Council Secretary
4. Report from the Science Advisor Skyli McAfee, Executive Director, California Ocean Science Trust
5. SPOTLIGHT ON SCIENCE – EXTREME EVENTS
Building off of the Governor’s Conference on Extreme Climate Risks on December 15, 2011, the Spotlight on Science will provide a targeted discussion of the latest science addressing increasing coastal vulnerability due to a changing climate. California’s coastal populations, infrastructure, property, and ecosystems are already at risk from coastal storms and this risk is growing. This panel will also highlight the actions California is taking to prepare for and adapt to climate change related risks.
Dr. Gary Griggs, UCSC: The Vulnerability of the California Coast to Climate Change and Extreme Events
Dr. Patrick Barnard, USGS: Storminess and Extreme Coastal Water Levels: Historical Observations and Future Projections for the California Coast
Rebecca Smyth, NOAA Coastal Services Center: Examples of Decision Support Tools and Community Adaptation Effort
Break for lunch
6. ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of a California Voluntary Sustainable Seafood Program Protocol Sam Schuchat, Council Secretary
7. ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommended policy to the California Energy Commission on marine renewable energy test and pilot projects Laura Engeman, Project Manager, OPC
Motion and Vote
8. ACTION: Consideration and possible authorization to develop an agreement with the California Technology Agency to support the integration of California’s coastal and marine geospatial data into a statewide internet-based “geo portal” to improve access to these data by agencies, stakeholders, and the general public Laura Engeman, Project Manager, OPC Scott Gregory, Geographic Information Officer, California Technology Agency
*Note: Agenda items may be reordered at the discretion of the council chair.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to Lawrence Matthews at (510) 286-1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this council meeting should contact Mr. Matthews no later than five days prior to meeting.