Agenda for July 29, 2015 OPC Meeting and related events
On July 29, 2015 the Ocean Protection Council will hold its public meeting at the Natural Resources Building Auditorium in Sacramento. The OPC will be acting on items related to fisheries management and will be hearing informational items related to the Refugio Beach oil spill, climate change, and marine protected area (MPA) management.
In the morning of July 29, the OPC will host a workshop to discuss the emerging findings from the West Coast Ocean Acidification and Hypoxia Science Panel. This workshop will be held from 10:00am to 11:30am at the California Environmental Protection Agency. More information can be found at here.
OPC Meeting Agenda
Watch Meeting Live (link will activate prior to start of meeting)
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:00 pm
Natural Resource Building Auditorium 1416 Ninth St., Sacramento, CA 95814
John Laird, Secretary for Natural Resources, Council Chair Matt Rodriquez, Secretary for Environmental Protection Gavin Newsom, Chair of the State Lands Commission Fran Pavley, State Senator Bill Quirk, State Assemblymember Geraldine Knatz, Public Member Michael Brown, Public Member
1. Welcome and Council Member Announcements Secretary Laird, Council Chair
2. Report from the Executive Director Cat Kuhlman, Executive Director, OPC
3. Report from the Science Advisor Liz Whiteman, Interim Executive Director, California Ocean Science Trust
4. INFORMATIONAL: Update on the Refugio Beach Oil Spill Charlton Bonham, Director, California Department of Fish and Wildlife Cyndi Dawson, MPA Policy Advisor, OPC
5. Fisheries Management
a) INFORMATIONAL: “Lessons Learned” from OPC’s prior investments in fisheries management Jacqueline Meyer, Fisheries Policy Advisor, OPC
b) ACTION: Authorization to disburse up to $985,000 to fund projects which advance Department of Fish and Wildlife’s priorities for fisheries management Jacqueline Meyer, Fisheries Policy Advisor, OPC Craig Shuman, Marine Region Manager, Department of Fish and Wildlif
6. INFORMATIONAL: updates on work related to the impacts of climate change including the West Coast Ocean Acidification and Hypoxia Science Panel, Executive Order B-30-15 and implementation of the Safeguarding California Plan, and the sea-level planning database mandated by AB2516 Jennifer Phillips, Project Manager, OPC Abe Doherty, Climate Change Policy Advisor, OPC
7. INFORMATIONAL: updates on marine protected area management including MPA signs and workplan of the MPA Statewide Leadership Team. Cyndi Dawson, MPA Policy Advisor, OPC Morgan Ivens-Duran, Sea Grant Fellow, OPC
8. Public Comment on non-agenda items
9. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment September 22, 2015, 1 – 4 pm, Natural Resources Building Auditorium.
Agenda items may be re-ordered at the discretion of the council chair.
Please fill out a Request to Speak card to provide public comment on non-agenda items or on a specific agenda item. Comment on agenda items will be taken following each item.
Comments may be sent by email to: COPCpublic@resources.ca.gov. Written public comment must be received by 4 pm on July 16, 2015 to be included in the materials provided to the council prior to the meeting. Materials received after that date will be distributed to the council at the beginning of the meeting. Oral and written comments will be accepted at the meeting.