Click Here to Start
Meeting of the
CALIFORNIA STATE PARK AND RECREATION COMMISSION
Casa Italiana Cultural Center, 1051 North Broadway, Los Angeles
May 16, 2014 - 9:00 a.m.
Improving Access, Increasing Relevancy, and Building Park Constituencies in California’s Underserved Communities
AGENDA of the MEETING
California State Senator Kevin de Leόn will provide welcoming remarks.
1. Chair’s Report, Commissioner reports/comments, Recognitions.
- Approval of Commemorative Redwood Groves as requested by Save the Redwoods League.
2. Director’s Report.
3. Parks Forward presentation/update by Parks Forward Initiative staff.
4. Overview of Park Access Issues for Urban and Underserved Communities: Commissioner Elva Yanez.
5. Best Management Practices and Lessons Learned by Exemplary Programs:
- Alina Bokde, Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust.
- Amy Lethbridge, Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority.
- Elizabeth Carmody, East Bay Regional Park District.
- Russ Guiney, Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation.
- Barbara Romero, Los Angeles Board of Public Works.
LUNCH Workshop– A 45-minute lunch break will be called at approximately noon.
6. National Initiatives:
- David Szymanski, National Park Service, Santa Monica Mountains National Rec Area.
- Belinda Faustinos, National Park Service Latino Legacy Initiative.
7. Partnership Opportunities:
- Manal Aboelata, Managing Director, Prevention Institute.
- Malcom Carsons, General Council and Policy Directory, Environmental Health/Community Health Councils, Inc.
- Irma Muñoz, President, Mujeres de la Tierra.
- Bruce Saito, Executive Director, LA Conservation Corps.
8. Overview of the evaluation of State Parks’ outreach & engagement programs.
9. Public Comment (including subjects other than the listed agenda items).