Blue Ribbon Task Force, Draft Meeting Agenda: June 4, 2009
(revised May 25, 2009)
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel *
6101 West Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Click Here to Start
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TTY) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885.
Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp for more information.
Public Participation: The public will be invited to offer general comments on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF), not specific to an agenda item, at approximately 9:40 a.m. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the number of requests and can range from one to three minutes per comment; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force; comments related to other MLPA Initiative activities or groups should be directed to those bodies or MLPA staff.
Meeting materials: Meeting materials will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted to this page as soon as they are available.
Red links indicate pages that require Adobe Reader.
- Receive a panel presentation regarding the Marine Life Protection Act and fisheries management
- Receive and discuss an MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT) proposed water quality evaluation method and potentially approve the SAT proposed method for evaluating marine protected area (MPA) proposals
- Receive and discuss report regarding the status of federal and state coordination recommendations and potentially provide guidance regarding next steps
- Receive updates on the work of the SAT, SCRSG, and MLPA Statewide Interests Group (SIG)
- Receive update on the revised south coast regional profile
- Receive 2008-2011 budget update
Meeting Agenda - Thursday, June 4, 2009
Note: General public comment, not specific to a particular agenda item, will be taken at approximately 9:40 a.m. and the task force will break for lunch at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Welcome, Agenda Review and Brief Introductions
- Master Plan Science Advisory Team
- Statewide Interests Group
- Public Outreach and Education Activities
- South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group and Regional Profile
- North Coast Project
II. The Marine Life Protection Act and Fisheries Management
- Panel Presentation Regarding the MLPA and Fisheries Management
III. MLPA South Coast Project
- Receive and Discuss SAT Proposed Water Quality Evaluation Methods
Potential Action: Approve SAT proposed water quality evaluation methods as an additional method for evaluating marine protected area proposals
IV. State and Federal Coordination Recommendations
- Receive and Review Recommendations for Improved MPA Management Coordination with Federal Agencies
Potential Action: Provide guidance to MLPA Initiative staff regarding next steps
V. MLPA Initiative Operations
- Updated 2008-11 MLPA Initiative Budget
- MLPA Calendar of Future Meetings