Note: The following agenda item will be the first item discussed at the Board meeting.
Agenda Item #
Joint Meeting of the Air Resources Board and its Research Screening Committee to Discuss the Air Resources Board's Research Planning Process
Staff will brief the Board on the implementation of the Air Resources Board's 2003-2010 Strategic Plan for Research. The Board will discuss with the Research Screening Committee members potential research priorities over the next 5 -10 years, and also discuss opportunities to influence research programs at academic institutions and other government agencies.
CONSENT CALENDAR: Motion and Vote
This consent calendar will be voted on by the Board immediately after the first item is completed. Any item may be removed from the consent calendar by a Board member or by someone in the audience who would like to speak on that item. The following items are on the consent calendar:
Consent Item #
Public Meeting to Consider Seventeen Research Proposals
1. Synthesis of Policy Relevant Findings from the CalNex 2010 Field Study," National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Proposal No. 2716-269 Proposed Resolution with Attachment
3. “Using Feedback from Commercial Buildings to Support Energy Conserving Behavior at Work and Beyond,” University of California, Berkeley, Proposal No. 2713-269 Proposed Resolution with Attachment
4. “Understanding Primary Organic Aerosol Volatility at Atmospherically Realistic Concentrations for SIP Analysis,” University of California, Davis, Proposal No. 2708-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
5. “Persistent Immune Effects of Wildfire Particulate Matter Exposure During Childhood Development,” University of California, Davis, Proposal No. 2715-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
7. “Extended Analysis of the CARES Aerosol Chemistry Data to Characterize Sources and Processes of Organic Aerosol in the Sacramento Valley of California,” University of California, Davis, Proposal No. 2712-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
8. “Behavioral Responses to Real-Time Individual Energy Usage Information: A Large Scale Experiment,” University of California, Los Angeles, Proposal No. 2714-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
9. “Probing the Intrinsic Ability of Particles to Generate Reactive Oxygen Species and the Effect of Physiologically Relevant Solutes,” University of California, Los Angeles, Proposal No. 2711-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
10. “Construction of a DOAS Instrument for Installation at the Air Resources Board for the Low Level Measurement of SO2 to Investigate the Relation Between SO2 and Sulfate,” University of California, Riverside, Proposal No. 2710-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
11. “Development of a Portable In-Use Reference Particulate Matter Measurement System,” University of California, Riverside, Proposal No. 2709-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
12. “Calibrating, Validating, and Implementing Process Models for California Agriculture Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” University of New Hampshire, Proposal No. 2707-269. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
14. “Residential Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Impacts of Compact Land Use Types,” University of California, Berkeley, Proposal No. 2719-270. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
15. “The Cool California Carbon Challenge: a Pilot Intra- and Inter-Community Carbon Footprint Reduction Competition,” University of California, Berkeley, Proposal No. 2718-270. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
17. “Developing Databases to Estimate California-Specific Climate Forcing Benefits of Cool Roofs,” Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Proposal No. 2720-270. Proposed Resolution with Attachment
Note: The following agenda items may be heard in a different order at the Board meeting.
Agenda Item #
Public Meeting to Hear a Report on the Air Resources Board's Program Priorities for 2011 Executive Officer James Goldstene will present to the Board a preview of anticipated Board activities in 2011. Staff Presentation
Public Meeting to Hear a Report on the Office of the Ombudsman Staff will update the Board on the implementation of the business plan for the Office of the Ombudsman and enhanced communication and stakeholder engagement, with emphasis on California small businesses. Staff Presentation
Public Meeting to Provide an Update on Discussions with the Southern California Association of Governments Concerning its 2035 Regional Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Target As directed by the Board, staff will provide an update on discussions with the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) regarding SCAG's regional greenhouse gas reduction target for 2035. More Information Staff Presentation
CLOSED SESSION – LITIGATION
Report from Closed Session
The Board will hold a closed session, as authorized by Government Code section 11126(e), to confer with, and receive advice from, its legal counsel regarding the following pending or potential litigation:
Pacific Merchant Shipping Association v. Goldstene, U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Sacramento), Case No. 2:09-CV-01151-MCE-EFB.
POET, LLC, et al. v. Goldstene, et al., Superior Court of California (Fresno County), Case No. 09CEAssociation of Irritated Residents, et al. v. California Air Resources Board, Superior Court of California (San Francisco County), Case No. CPF-09-509562.CG04850.
Rocky Mountain Farmers Union, et al. v. Goldstene, U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Fresno), Case No. 1:09−CV−02234−LJO−DLB.
National Petroleum & Refiners Association, et al. v. Goldstene, et al., U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Fresno) Case No. 1:10-CV-00163-AWI-GSA
Association of Irritated Residents, et al. v. California Air Resources Board, Superior Court of California (San Francisco County), Case No. CPF-09-509562.
Association of Irritated Residents, et al. v. U.S. E.P.A., 2011 WL 310357 (C.A.9), (Feb. 2, 2011).
California Dump Truck Owners Association v. California Air Resources Board, U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal. Sacramento) Case No. 2:11-CV-00384-MCE-GGH.
OPPORTUNITY FOR MEMBERS OF THE BOARD TO COMMENT ON MATTERS OF INTEREST
Board members may identify matters they would like to have noticed for consideration at future meetings and comment on topics of interest; no formal action on these topics will be taken without further notice.
OPEN SESSION TO PROVIDE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO ADDRESS THE BOARD ON SUBJECT MATTERS WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE BOARD
Although no formal Board action may be taken, the Board is allowing an opportunity to interested members of the public to address the Board on items of interest that are within the Board’s jurisdiction, but do not specifically appear on the agenda. Each person will be allowed a maximum of three minutes to ensure that everyone has a chance to speak.
TO SUBMIT WRITTEN COMMENTS ON AN AGENDA ITEM IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING GO TO:
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT THE CLERK OF THE BOARD
1001 I Street, 23rd Floor, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 322-5594
ARB Homepage: http://www.arb.ca.gov
To request a special accommodation or language needs for any of the following:
• An interpreter to be available at the hearing.
• Have documents available in an alternate format (i.e. Braille, Large print) or another language.
• A disability-related reasonable accommodation.
Please contact the Clerk of the Board at (916) 322-5594 or by facsimile at (916) 322-3928 as soon as possible, but no later than 10 business days before the scheduled Board hearing. TTY/TDD/Speech to Speech users may dial 711 for the California Relay Service.
Para solicitar alguna comodidad especial o necesidad de otro idioma para alguna de las siguientes:
• Un intérprete que esté disponible en la audiencia
• Tener documentos disponibles en un formato alterno (por decir, sistema Braille, o en impresión grande) u otro idioma.
• Una acomodación razonable relacionados con una incapacidad.
Por favor llame a la oficina del Secretario del Consejo de Recursos Atmosféricos al (916) 322-5594 o envíe un fax al (916) 322-3928 no menos de diez (10) días laborales antes del día programado para la audiencia. Para el Servicio Telefónico de California para Personas con Problemas Auditivos, ó de teléfonos TDD pueden marcar al 711.
SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AT MEETINGS OF THE CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD