CALIFORNIA MLPA INITIATIVE BLUE
RIBBON TASK FORCE
DRAFT MEETING AGENDA
(revised August 20, 2007)
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Resources Building *
1416 Ninth Street, First Floor Auditorium
Members of the public are invited to view or listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Please visit the MLPA website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/meetings.html for more information.
Public participation: The public will be invited by the chair at several points in the meeting to offer comments on agenda items. General comments on the MLPA Initiative and the work of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, not directed to specific agenda items, will be taken at approximately 9:40 a.m. Speaker cards will be requested and may be found at the entrance to the room.
* Receive public comment on items not on the agenda
* Receive briefing on the staffing and resource needs of the initiative and completing other MLPA study regions
* Receive update on regional stakeholder group and science advisory team activities
* Receive update on MLPA Statewide Interests Group
* Receive update on revisions to the draft “MLPA Regional Profile for the North Central Coast Study Region (Alder Creek/Point Arena to Pigeon Point, California)”
* Receive update on implementation of the central coast marine protected areas
* Discuss and potentially develop comments on proposed revisions to the ”California MLPA Master Plan for Marine Protected Areas”
* Adopt methods for stakeholder involvement at both the statewide and regional levels
Note: the task force will break for lunch at approximately 12:00 noon.
1. Welcome and Introductions
9:30 a.m. Susan Golding, Chair, MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force.
2. Public Comment
Public comment will be taken on the task force meeting and initiative process. Public comments on specific agenda items should be made during that agenda item.
3. Staff Planning and Resources
Update on MLPA Initiative staffing and budget, and planning for future study regions. Ken Wiseman, Executive Director, MLPA Initiative.
4. North Central Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
1 and Handout C]
Update on appointments to and activities of the regional stakeholder group. Melissa Miller-Henson, Program Manager, MLPA Initiative.
5. Master Plan Science Advisory Team
2 and Handout D]
Update on appointments to and activities of the science advisory team. John Ugoretz, Marine Habitat Conservation Program Manager, California Department of Fish and Game.
6. MLPA Statewide Interests Group
Update on appointments to the MLPA Statewide Interests Group. Melissa Miller-Henson.
7. MLPA North Central Coast Study Region
Update on revisions to the draft regional profile for the north central coast study region. Melissa Miller-Henson.
8. MLPA Master Plan for MPAs Implementation Update
Update on central coast MPAs and revised California MLPA Master Plan for Marine Protected Areas. John Ugoretz.
9. Enforcement of Marine Protected Areas
Presentation on marine enforcement. Chief Nancy Foley, California Department of Fish and Game
Captain Brian Naslund, California Department of Fish and Game.
10. Draft Strategy for Stakeholder and Interested Public Participation
Adopt a strategy for stakeholder and public participation in the MLPA Initiative. Melissa Miller-Henson.
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) and ask them to contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.653.5656.