Streaming Video Home Page
Blue Ribbon Task Force, Draft Meeting Agenda: March 1-2, 2010
View Full Agenda and Briefing Documents
Monday, March 1, 2010 at 9:00 a.m.
C.V. Starr Community Center*
300 S. Lincoln St.
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.
Field trip in the Fort Bragg Area
Click Here to Start
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885.
Public Participation: Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet (field trips are not included in the webcasting). Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp for more information.
Public comment: The public will be invited to offer general comments on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF), not specific to an agenda item, at approximately 1:15 p.m. on Monday, March 1. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the number of requests; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged.
Meeting Materials: Briefing documents will not be provided at the meeting but will be viewable on this page as soon as they are available.
- Receive science presentations on water quality and on the use of commercial and recreational fishing data in the design and evaluation of marine protected areas (MPAs)
- Confirm applicability of policy direction provided in previous study regions to the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Discuss and potentially approve additional policy direction for the north coast
- Receive and discuss California Department of Fish and Game and California Department of Parks and Recreation input on the state decision-making context related to tribal uses of marine resources
- Receive the external proposed MPA arrays submitted by community groups
- Receive updates on the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT), MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (NCRSG), and MLPA Statewide Interests Group (SIG)
- Receive updates on the north coast regional profile, public outreach and education, staffing, and the 2008-2011 budget
- Receive an update on MLPA implementation in other study regions
Meeting Agenda – Monday, March 1, 2010
This shortened version of the full agenda contains only main agenda items.
See below to view the full agenda and meeting briefing documents.
Note: The task force will break for lunch at approximately 12:00 p.m. Public comment will be taken immediately following lunch at approximately 1:15 p.m.
Welcome, Review of Agenda, and Brief Introductions
- Memorandum of Understanding Milestones Meeting
Ken Wiseman, Executive Director, MLPA Initiative
- Master Plan Science Advisory Team
- North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
- MLPA Statewide Interests Group
- Public Outreach and Education
- Regional Profile
II. External Proposed MPA Arrays
- Receive Overview of External Proposed MPA Arrays Submitted by Community Groups
III. The Science of Marine Protected Areas
- SAT Presentation: Use of Commercial and Recreational Fishing Data in the Design and Evaluation of MPAs
- SAT Presentation: Water Quality in the North Coast
IV. Policy Direction for the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Receive and Discuss Input on the State Decision-making Context for Tribal Uses of Marine Resources Motion and Vote
- Discuss Policy Guidance for the North Coast Study Region Motion and Vote
Potential Action: Confirm that guidance in the January 13, 2010 staff memo is applicable to the MLPA North Coast Study Region
Potential Action: Provide additional guidance to the MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group with regard to developing draft MPA proposals
V. Public Participation
- Receive and Discuss Revised Strategy for Public Participation
Potential Action: Approve the revised strategy for public participation in the MLPA North Coast Study Region
VI. Task Force Operations
- MLPA Initiative Staffing and Resources
- MLPA Initiative Budget and Calendar
VII. Implementation in Other MLPA Study Regions
- Update on Efforts to Implement the MLPA in the Central Coast, North Central Coast, and South Coast Study Regions
General Public Comment
Meeting Agenda – Tuesday, March 2, 2010
The task force will begin a field trip at 8:30 a.m. and conclude no later than 1:30 p.m. Members of the public are welcome to join the task force members for all or part of the field trip, but must provide their own transportation. Details about the specific stops will be posted as soon as they are confirmed.
Full Agenda and Briefing Documents
All files require Adobe Reader.
No documents are available at this time.