Streaming Video Home Page
MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team
Draft Meeting Agenda: April 6, 2009
(revised April 6, 2009)
Monday, April 6, 2009
via teleconference and online meeting (webinar)
Toll free phone number: 800.697.5978
Pass code: 8527564
Presentations via GoToMeeting. Reserve your reservation now at
Click Here to Start
Public teleconference and webinar access for Monday, April 6 is also available at:
1416 Ninth Street, Room 1320
Sacramento, CA 95814
Southwest Fisheries Science Center*
3333 North Torrey Pines Court
La Jolla, CA 92037-1022
|California Department of Fish and Game*
4665 Lampson Avenue, Suite C
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
UCSB Marine Science Institute
Marine Science Research Building*
Second Floor, Conference Room 2318
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6150
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.653.5656.
Public parking is available at no charge at the above locations except for the Marine Science Research Building and the Resources Building.
- The Marine Science Research Building is most easily accessed via bus from downtown Santa Barbara or Goleta by taking the UCSB express; directions and bus stop times are available at http://www.sbmtd.gov/Lines/Line_24x.htm. Alternatively, UCSB campus visitor parking passes can be requested by contacting Satie Airame at email@example.com.
- The Resources Building is most easily accessed via the Light Rail Blue and Gold lines (http://www.sacrt.com/systemmap/central.stm). Parking in downtown Sacramento is via a city garage or metered street parking; members of the public can be reimbursed by staff at the building for any parking fees.
Public Participation: On Wednesday April 1, members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting only via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet (see the MLPA website (www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp) for more information about simultaneous webcasting). On Monday, April 6, members of the public are invited to attend the meeting and provide comment using the toll-free phone number and to watch presentations via the webinar link, or may use the MLPA offices listed above to listen, watch and provide comment. It is important that members of the public attending the meeting via conference call clearly state their first and last name when prompted by the operator to ensure that you are able to provide comments. Both portions of the meeting may be viewed in an archived version approximately two days after the meeting.
Public comment: The public will be invited by the co-chairs to offer comments on agenda action items. General comments on the work of the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT), not directed to specific agenda items, will be taken after lunch at approximately 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 and at approximately 3:15 p.m. on Monday, April 6, 2009. Note that the general comment period is for comments specific to the MLPA SAT; comments related to the regional stakeholder group, task force or other MLPA Initiative activities should be directed to those bodies or MLPA staff. Meeting materials will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted to the MLPA website as soon as they are available. This agenda may be found on the MLPA website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp.
Red links indicate pages that require Adobe Reader.
|Click here for an Adobe PDF version of this agenda.
- Discuss and potentially approve the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT) response to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) request regarding U.S. Department of Defense "military use areas"
- Review, discuss and potentially approve level of protection designations
- Review, discuss and potentially approve the SAT evaluations of MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (SCRSG) draft MPA arrays and draft external marine protected area (MPA) proposals
- Review, discuss and potentially approve the water quality evaluation methods for MPA proposals in the MLPA South Coast Study Region
- Review and discuss draft document regarding beach manipulation activities in the MLPA South Coast Study Region
- Review and potentially approve SAT responses to questions from the MLPA SCRSG
- Review and potentially approve commercial and recreational fishing chapter of the south coast evaluation methods document
Meeting Agenda – Monday, April 6, 2009
Note: The SAT will take a break at approximately 3:00 p.m.; public comment will be taken immediately following the break at approximately 3:15 p.m.
These agenda items and actions were not completed on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 and will be taken up on the second day of the meeting, Monday, April 6:
I. BRTF Request Regarding Military Use Areas in the MLPA South Coast Study Region
- Review and Discuss the Revised Response to the BRTF Regarding the Ecology of Military Use Areas
Potential SAT Action: Approve the Revised Response to the BRTF Regarding the Ecology of Military Use Areas
- Update and Discussion on the BRTF Guidance on How to Incorporate/Evaluate Military Use Areas and Pending Closures in SCRSG Draft MPA Arrays and Draft External Proposals
Vote for Item 1.
II. Levels of Protection
- Review and Discuss Text Associated with the Levels of Protection Approved at the February 24, 2009 SAT Meeting
Potential SAT Action: Approve text associated with levels of protection (LOPs) approved at the February 24, 2009 SAT meeting
III. Evaluations of Draft MPA Arrays and Draft External MPA Proposals
- Review and Discuss the Marine Birds and Mammals Evaluation Results
Potential SAT Action: Approve the marine birds and mammals evaluations results and PowerPoint presentations
- Review and Discuss the Commercial and Recreational Fishing Evlauation Results
Potential SAT Action: Approve the commercial and recreational fishing evaluation results and PowerPoint presentation
Approve the commercial and recreational fishing evaluation results and PowerPoint presentation
Vote Marine Birds and Evaluation
Motion and Vote
IV. Water Quality Evaluation Methods
- Review and Discuss Proposed Water Quality Evaluations Methods and Draft Results
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed water quality evaluation methods
V. MPAs and Adaptive Management
- Proposed Concepts for Designing a Network of MPAs for Adaptive Management
Potential SAT Action: Approve concepts for designing a network of MPAs for adaptive management
VI. Beach Manipulation and Habitat Restoration Activities
- Review and Discuss the Beach Manipulation Activities Document
Potential SAT Action: Approve the beach manipulation activities document
- Review and Discuss Wetland Restoration Activities Background Document
VII. Science Questions
- Review and Discuss SAT Responses to Questions Received at SCRSG Meetings
Potential SAT Action: Approve response to science question #3 received at the January 13-14, 2009 meeting of the SCRSG
General Public Comment
Wrap Up and Next Steps