Streaming Video Home Page
Science Advisory Team, Draft Meeting Agenda: December 16-17, 2009
(updated December 17, 2009)
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 8:30 a.m.
Red Lion Hotel Eureka*
1929 Fourth Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Click Here to Start
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885.
Public Participation: Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp for more information.
Public comment: The public will be invited to provide general comments on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT), on December 17 at approximately 12:45 p.m.. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the chair; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the SAT; comments related to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force or other MLPA Initiative activities should be directed to the Task Force or MLPA staff.
Meeting materials will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted to the MLPA Web site as soon as they are available.
Red links indicate pages that require Adobe Reader.
- Receive update on the MLPA north coast regional profile
- Review and potentially approve a protocol for handling science questions and external data submitted to the SAT
- Review and potentially approve the proposed north coast bioregions
- Review and potentially approve the proposed list of key habitats
- Review and potentially approve proposed approach for determining marine protected area (MPA) habitat replication criteria
- Review and discuss MPA size and spacing guidelines
- Review, discuss and potentially approve approach to developing levels of protection (LOPs) for the north coast study region and proposed LOPs
- Receive updates from SAT work groups
Meeting Agenda – December 16, 2009
Note: General public comments will be taken on Thursday, December 17 at approximately 12:45 p.m.
Welcome, Agenda Review and Brief Introductions
Motion and Vote
II. MPA Design Guidelines and Evaluation Methods for the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- SAT MPA Evaluation Methods Update
- Review and Discuss Proposed North Coast Bioregions Motion and Vote
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed north coast bioregions
BRIEFING DOCUMENT F.1: Draft MLPA North Coast Bioregions
BRIEFING DOCUMENT F.2: Draft MLPA North Coast Bioregions PPT
- Discussion on Habitat Representation
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed list of key habitats
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed approach for habitat data use
BRIEFING DOCUMENT G.1: Habitat Data in the NCSR
BRIEFING DOCUMENT G.2: Draft Key and Unique Habitats for the NCSR
- Discussion on Habitat Replication Criteria within the North Coast Study Region
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed approach for determining habitat replication criteria
BRIEFING DOCUMENT H.1: Replication in the NCSR PPT
Meeting Agenda – Thursday, December 17, 2009
Note: The SAT will break for lunch at approximately 12:00 p.m. and public comment will be taken immediately after at approximately 12:45 p.m.
Review agenda for Day 2 and questions from Day 1
II. MPA Design Guidelines and Evaluation Methods for the MLPA North Coast Study Region (continued from Day 1)
- Discussion on Designating Levels of Protection
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed approach for determining levels of protection
Potential SAT Action: Approve the proposed levels of protection
BRIEFING DOCUMENT I.1: Draft List of LOPs in the NCSR
BRIEFING DOCUMENT I.2: Background Information on Designating LOPs PPT
BRIEFING DOCUMENT I.3: Draft Supporting Text for LOP Designations
- Discussion on Size and Spacing Evaluation Guidelines
BRIEFING DOCUMENT J.1: MPA Size Guidelines and Evaluation Methods PPT
BRIEFING DOCUMENT J.2: MPA Spacing Guidelines and Evaluation Methods PPT
- Review of Modeling Evaluation Methods
BRIEFING DOCUMENT K.1: Modeling Evaluation Methods PPT
- Review and Discuss the Methods Used to Estimate Potential Commercial and Recreational Fishery Impacts
BRIEFING DOCUMENT L.1: Data Collection and Evaluation Methods PPT
III. Updates from SAT Work Groups
- Species Likely to Benefit from MPAs in the North Coast Study Region Work Group
BRIEFING DOCUMENT M.1: Background Information on Identifying Species Likely to Benefit from MPAs in the NCSR PPT
BRIEFING DOCUMENT M.2: Draft Criteria for List of Species Likely to Benefit from Marine Protected Areas in the MLPA North Coast Study Region (revised December 10, 2009)
BRIEFING DOCUMENT M.3: Draft List of Species Likely to Benefit from MPAs in the NCSR (revised December 14, 2009)
- Study Region Boundary Work Group
- Modeling Work Group - Integration of Models with MarineMap
- Tribal Work Group
Wrap-Up and Next Steps
- NC SAT Proposed Meeting Dates for 2010
BRIEFING DOCUMENT Q.1: Master Plan Science Advisory Team Proposed Meeting Dates and Locations for 2010 (revised December 8, 2009)