Streaming Video Home Page
Master Plan Science Advisory Team, Draft Meeting Agenda: January 20-21, 2010
View Full Agenda and Briefing Documents
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 1:00 p.m.
Thursday January 21, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
1929 Fourth Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Click Here to Start
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885.
Public Participation: Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp for more information.
Public comment: The public will be invited to provide general comment on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT) on January 21 at approximately 12:35 p.m. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the chair; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the SAT; comments related to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, or other MLPA Initiative activities should be directed to the task force or MLPA staff.
Meeting Materials: Briefing documents will not be provided at the meeting but will be viewable on this page as soon as they are available.
- Receive updates on the MLPA north coast process
- Receive updates from SAT work groups
- Review and discuss marine protected area (MPA) habitat representation evaluation methods
- Review, discuss and potentially approve MPA habitat replication evaluation methods
- Review, discuss and potentially approve MPA size and spacing evaluation methods
- Review, discuss and potentially approve proposed levels of protection
- Review and discuss water quality evaluations for the north coast study region
- Review and discuss marine birds and mammals evaluations for the north study coast region
- Review and potentially approve SAT responses to science guidance question
Meeting Agenda – Thursday, January 21, 2010
This shortened version of the full agenda contains only main agenda items.
See below to view the full agenda and meeting briefing documents.
Note: The SAT will break for lunch at approximately 11:50 a.m. and public comment will be taken immediately after at approximately 12:35 p.m. At the discretion of the co-chairs, agenda items may be heard in any order and on either day of the meeting.
Review agenda for Day 2 and questions from Day 1
II. MPA Design Guidelines and Evaluation Methods for the MLPA North Coast Study Region (continued form day 1)
- Discussion on Habitat Representation: Unique Habitats and an Update on the Methods Used to Quantify Available Habitats
Potential SAT Action: Approve unique habitats to be considered in the north coast study region
- Review and Discuss Habitat Replication Criteria for the North Coast Study Region Potential SAT Action: Approve the habitat replication criteria for the north coast study region
- Discussion on MPA Size and Spacing Evaluation Methods
Potential SAT Action: Approve the approach for MPA size evaluations
Potential SAT Action: Approve the approach for MPA spacing evaluations
- Review and Discuss Modeling Evaluation Methods
Potential SAT Action: Approve the modeling evaluation methods for the north coast study region
- Review and Discuss Supporting Text for Levels of Protection (LOPs) Approved at the December 16, 2009 SAT Meeting
Potential SAT Action: Approve the supporting text for LOPs approved at the December 16, 2009 SAT meeting.
Potential SAT Action: Approve newly proposed LOPs
IV. Science Guidance Questions from the Public and External Array Proponents
- Review and Discuss SAT Responses to Science Questions Received at the December 16-17, 2009 SAT Meeting
Potential SAT Action: Approve SAT response to science questions received at the December 16-17, 2009 SAT meeting
Wrap-up and Next Steps
- Timeline for SAT Evaluations of Draft External MPA Array Proposals
- Review and Discuss SAT Responses to Science Questions Recieved at the Decemenr 16-17, 2009 SAT Meeting
Potential SAT Action: Approve SAT response to science questions recieved at the December 16-17, 2009
All files require Adobe Reader.