South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
Proposed Draft Meeting Agenda
October 6-7, 2008
(revised September 30, 2008)
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
1440 East Imperial Avenue
El Segundo, CA 90245
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) and ask them to contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885.
|Public participation: Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet; an archived version will be available approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp for more information.
The public will be invited to offer comments on the work of the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (SCRSG) at approximately 1:15 p.m. on Monday, October 6 and at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 7. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group; comments related to other MLPA Initiative activities or groups should be directed to those bodies or MLPA staff.
Red links indicate pages that require Adobe Reader.
|Click here for an Adobe PDF version of this agenda.
- Review project goals, charge of the SCRSG, and work plan
- Review and adopt proposed SCRSG ground rules
- Review key findings of stakeholder assessment and implications for south coast process
- Initiate review of draft regional profile
- Initiate discussion of draft regional goals and objectives
- Outline preparations for second SCRSG meeting
Meeting Agenda – Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Note: The SCRSG will break for lunch at approximately 12:00 noon and public comment will be taken at approximately 1:00 p.m.
7. Revisions to ground rules (review selected revisions, if needed, and adopt)
Motion and Vote
8. Draft regional profile for the MLPA South Coast Study Region
- Presentation of draft regional profile
- Overview of process for joint fact-finding by SCRSG members, MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team, and other experts
- Focused feedback on regional profile – comments due by October 31, 2008
- Other planning tools – Doris / Marinemap
9. Evaluating existing MPAs and the iterative MPA planning process
10. SCRSG role in creating alternative MPA proposals
- Expectations of final work products
- Iterative process and input of other groups in developing products
11. Aspirations, hopes, and challenges
- Breakout activity:
- What are your greatest hopes regarding the project? What potential challenges do you see?
- What will you do to address the challenges and make the project a success?
- What can MLPA staff do to make the project a success?
- Summary of SCRSG member aspirations, hopes and challenges
12. Initiate consideration of regional goals and objectives
13. Next steps and preparations for the second SCRSG meeting (November 18-19, 2008 in the Santa Barbara area)
General Public Comments
- MLPA news release announcing members of the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
- California Marine Life Protection Act
- California Marine Managed Areas Improvement Act
- MOU for the California MLPA Initiative
- Overview of the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative (workshop/open house materials)
- Charters for the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, Master Plan Science Advisory Team, and South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
- MLPA group rosters (MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, Master Plan Science Advisory Team, South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group, and MLPA staff)
- Strategy for Stakeholder and Interested Public Participation in the MLPA South Coast Study Region (revised September 4, 2008)
- PowerPoint presentation: Lessons Learned for the MLPA North Central Coast Study Region (J. Michael Harty presentation to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, September 2008)
- Draft Charge, Ground Rules & Decision Process for the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (September 29, 2008)
- Definition of key working terms (Appendix J of the California Marine Life Protection Act Master Plan for Marine Protected Areas, January 2008)
- Outline of information required for proposals for networks of MPAs (Appendix F of the California Marine Life Protection Act Master Plan for Marine Protected Areas, January 2008)