DECEMBER 2013 AGENDA
RADISSON HOTEL FISHERMAN'S WHARF
250 BEACH STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94133
Phone number will only be in service when the meeting is in session.
Please note: agenda items are subject to change.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2013
1. CALL TO ORDER.
2. ROLL CALL.
3. AGENDA CHANGES
4. GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT. Public comments will be heard for items not on the agenda, for no more than 30 minutes. For those unable to attend the early comment period, there will be additional comment time available later in the day.
SOUTH COAST DISTRICT (Los Angeles County)
5. CONSENT CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Application No. 5-13-0673 (Grand Prix Association City of Long Beach) Application of The Grand Prix Association of Long Beach and City of Long Beach for The 2014 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (April 11-13, 2014), including installation and removal of temporary facilities for traffic and public accommodations located along the Downtown Shoreline, City of Long Beach, Los Angeles County (CP-LB)
b. Application No. 5-13-0885 (City of Long Beach, Long Beach) Application of City of Long Beach to maintain existing mapped dirt roads to oil wells by smoothing surface using small tractor, with no added fill or disturbance to vegetation, at City-owned part of Los Cerritos Wetlands situated south of East Second St. and east of Shopkeeper Rd., Long Beach, Los Angeles County. (CP-LB)
c. Application No. 5-13-0947 (Games, Playa Del Rey) Application of Greg & Lillian Games to demolish duplex and construct 2,880 sq.ft., 3-story single-family home with attached 2-car garage, at 6991 Trolleyway St., Playa Del Rey, City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County (AJP-LB)
SOUTH COAST DISTRICT (Orange County)
6. ADMINISTRATIVE CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Application No. 5-13-0509 (Pilalas, Newport Beach) Application of Jason M. Pilalas to widen existing U-shaped dock by relocating one pile and widening existing 12’ x 4’ headwalk to a 16’ x 4’headwalk and reducing the 10’ x 14’ platform to 10’ x 12’; the existing 4’ x 40’ fingers, 22’ x 3’ gangway, 20’ x 4’ pier approach and 4’ x 5’ gangway will remain the same, at 1404 W. Bay Avenue, Newport Beach Orange County. (RAB-LB)
b. Application No. 5-13-0511 (Huchel, Newport Beach) Application of Thomas Huchel to remove existing 20’ x 9’ floating dock, 20’ x 3’ gangway, and 8’ x 5’ pier platform and relocate two piles and install new 8’ x 12’ floating dock, 24’ x 3’ gangway, and no pier platform at 605 36th St., Newport Beach, Orange County. (RAB-LB)
c. Application No. 5-13-0515 (Recreational Land Investments, Inc, Huntington Beach) Application of Recreational Land Investment, Inc. to remove existing 20’ long cantilevered deck and replace it with new 81’-1” long deck, extending 5 feet bayward from bulkhead at 16532 Cotuit Circle, Huntington Beach, Orange County. (RAB-LB)
d. Application No. 5-13-0851 (County of Orange Five-Year Long-Term Maintenance Plan) Application of Orange County for Five-Year Long-Term Maintenance Plan for routine, minimal impact maintenance of existing flood control facilities and bridges crossing waterways, located countywide in County-owned flood control facilities and bridges within the coastal zone, Orange County. (LR-LB) [POSTPONED]
7. CONSENT CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Application No. 5-12-0336 (Laks, Newport Beach) Application of Jason Laks to demolish duplex, grading, and construct new 29-ft. above finished grade, 3-story duplex (Unit 1: 1,677 sq. feet & Unit 2: 1,640 sq. feet) with a 389 sq.ft., 2-car garage and 2-car carport, to be converted into condominiums, on beach fronting lot, at 5103 Seashore Dr., Newport Beach, Orange County. (FSY-LB)
b. Application No. 5-13-0429 (Gaspard, Newport Beach) Application of Don J. and Scott F. Gaspard to demolish single-family home and construct new 2-story, 26-ft. tall, single-family home with 2,197 sq.ft. of living area and attached 2-car, 466-sq.ft. garage (total of 2,663 sq. feet), replace and raise seawall cap, and repair 4 concrete dock piles at 4004 Channel Pl., Newport Beach Orange County. (RAB-LB)
c. Application No. 5-13-0478 (Irvine Company, Newport Beach) [ADDENDUM] Application of The Irvine Co. to replace existing deteriorated wood decking of docks in Villa Cove Marina, at 1099 Bayside Dr., Newport Beach, Orange County. (FSY-LB)
d. Application No. 5-13-0479 (Irvine Company, Newport Beach) Application of The Irvine Co. to replace 25 slip fingers at Bayshore Marina, resulting in reduction of finger width from 40-ft. x 4-ft. to 40-ft. x 3-ft., at 2572 Bayshore Dr., Newport Beach, Orange County. (FSY-LB)
SAN DIEGO DISTRICT
8. CONSENT CALENDAR. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Application No. 6-12-083 (Carlsbad storm drain repairs, Carlsbad) Application of City of Carlsbad to repair/replace portions of two storm drain facilities to include installation of approx. 475 lineal ft. of new liner and replacement of portions of existing pipe along Hoover Street, southwest of Adams Street and the replacement of approx. 135 lineal ft. of reinforced concrete pipe and related improvements at intersection of Highland Dr. and Adams St., Agua Hedionda, Carlsbad, San Diego County. (KB-SD)
9. Public Hearing on Draft Sea Level Rise Guidance Document. Commission staff briefing and public hearing on the draft guidance for addressing sea level rise in Coastal Commission planning and regulatory actions, including an overview of the document and the best available science on sea level rise. (SH/HP/LE-SF)
10. ENFORCEMENT REPORT. Report by Chief of Enforcement on Statewide Enforcement Program. (LAH-SF)
SOUTH COAST DISTRICT (Orange County)
11. DEPUTY DIRECTOR’S REPORT FOR ORANGE COUNTY. Report by Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, LCP matters not requiring public hearings, and on comments from the public. For specific information contact the Commission's Long Beach office at (562) 590-5071.
12. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
SAN DIEGO COAST DISTRICT
13. DEPUTY DIRECTOR'S REPORT. Report by Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, LCP matters not requiring public hearings, and on comments from the public. For specific information contact the Commission's San Diego office at (619) 767-2370.
a. City of Imperial Beach LCP Amendment No. IMB-MAJ-2-12 (Commercial Mixed Uses) Certification Review. Concurrence with Executive Director’s determination that the action by the City of Imperial Beach accepting the Commission’s certification with suggested modifications for LCP Amendment No. 2-12 is legally adequate. (DL-SD)
b. City of Imperial Beach LCP Amendment No. IMB-DM-1-13 (13th Street Lane Diet). Concurrence with the Executive Director’s determination that the request by the City of Imperial Beach to re-designate 13th Street from a 4-lane collector to a 3-lane collector to accommodate bike lanes and on-street parking is de minimis. (DL-SD)
14. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
15. LOCAL COASTAL PROGRAMS (LCPs) See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. City of San Diego LCP Amendment No. SAN-MAJ-2-13B (Microbreweries). Public hearing and action on request by the City of San Diego to amend the certified Land Development Code (IP) to modify industrial zone regulations to allow accessory uses, such as small restaurants or tasting rooms, in association with microbreweries. (DNL-SD )
16. COASTAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS. See AGENDA CATEGORIES. Attention: Items appearing in this section of the agenda may be moved to the Consent Calendar for this area by the Executive Director when, prior to taking up the Consent Calendar, staff and the applicant are in agreement on the staff recommendation. If an item is moved to the Consent Calendar it will be processed in the same manner as other Consent Calendar items (See AGENDA CATEGORIES) except that if that item is subsequently removed from the Consent Calendar by a vote of three or more commissioners, the item will be acted upon at the meeting in the order in which it originally appears on this Meeting Notice and in the manner Coastal Permit Applications are processed. The purpose of this procedural change is to expedite the Commission's coastal development permit process.
a. Application No. 6-13-0407 (McMillin-NTC, San Diego) [ADDENDUM] Application of McMillin-NTC, LLC to demolish commercial parking lot and construct 650-room hotel complex consisting of 80-ft. high, 252-room, 214,940 sq.ft. hotel; 67-ft. high, 215-room, 142,550 sq.ft. hotel; 65-ft. high, 183-room, 87,420 sq.ft. hotel; 3,180 sq.ft. restaurant; 150-ft. wide public esplanade along boat channel with pedestrian/bicycle path, benches and passive/active recreation areas; 701 surface parking spaces, including 15 dedicated coastal-access spaces; traffic improvements; landscaping; and 22,000 cu.yds. of grading, at 2200 Lee Ct., Point Loma, San Diego, San Diego County. (KB-SD)
b. Application No. 6-13-0615 (UCSD, San Diego) Application of the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) to construct 400-ft. long bluff top public access trail and view point along bluff, at Biological Grade, Scripps Institution of Oceanography Campus, La Jolla, San Diego, San Diego County. (AL-SD) [Moved to Consent Calendar, APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
c. Application No. 6-13-0676 (California State Parks, Imperial Beach) Application of California State Parks for after-the-fact authorization to remove metal sheds and construct 18-ft. high, 2,400 sq.ft. storage building within existing 8,900 sq.ft. fenced storage and nursery compound, at 310 Caspian Way, Imperial Beach, San Diego County. (TR-SD) [Moved to Consent Calendar, APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
d. Application No. 6-13-0768 (SDRE Investments, LLC, San Diego Co.) Application of SDRE Investments, LLC to demolish 677 sq.ft., 1-story detached guest-house and construct attached 2,272 sq.ft., 1-story over basement gym with outdoor courtyard and landscaping, at 17576 Rancho La Noria Rd., San Diego County. (AL-SD) [Moved to Consent Calendar, APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS]
17. REVISED FINDINGS. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Port Master Plan Amendment No. 45 (Convention Center Expansion). Consideration of findings for Commission’s October 11, 2013 approval of amendment to certified Port Master Plan for Port of San Diego to revise text, graphics, and project list to provide for construction of 740,000 sq.ft. addition to the Convention Center; construction of 5 acre rooftop park/plaza atop the Center; realignment and narrowing of Convention Way bayward; construction of new 372-ft. high, new 500-room hotel tower and associated ballrooms. (DL-SD) [POSTPONED]
b. City of Imperial Beach LCP Amendment No. IMB-MAJ-2-12 (Commercial Mixed Uses) [ADDENDUM] Consideration of findings for Commission’s October 11, 2013 approval of amendment to certified LCP Land Use Plan and Implementation for City of Imperial Beach to modify provisions for commercial and residential uses in mixed use districts and zones. (DL-SD)
c. Appeal No. A-6-NLC-13-211 (Marina Gateway Development Co. LLC, National City) Consideration of findings for Commission’s September 11, 2013, action to grant permit on appeal to Marina Gateway Development Co. LLC to remove condition on existing permit restricting uses on ground floor of 14,300 sq.ft., 2-story office/commercial building to tourist-commercial uses, to allow professional dental college within 5,600 sq.ft. of first floor, and 6,300 sq.ft. on upper floor of building, with permit term of 10 years, at 700 Bay Marina Drive, National City, San Diego County. (DL-SD)
SOUTH COAST DISTRICT (Los Angeles County)
18. DEPUTY DIRECTOR’S REPORT FOR LOS ANGELES COUNTY. Report by Deputy Director on permit waivers, emergency permits, immaterial amendments & extensions, LCP matters not requiring public hearings, and on comments from the public. For specific information contact the Commission's Long Beach office at (562) 590-5071.
19. CONSENT CALENDAR (removed from Regular Calendar). See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
20. NEW APPEALS. See AGENDA CATEGORIES.
a. Appeal No. A-5-RPV-12-350 (Khosla, Rancho Palos Verdes) [ADDENDUM] Appeal by Commissioners Shallenberger & Brennan of decision by City of Rancho Palos Verdes to grant permit with conditions to Mr. and Mrs. Khosla for construction of new 10,000 sq.ft., 2-story home with attached garage, grading, and 4 associated retaining walls, at 3344 Palos Verdes Dr. West, Rancho Palos Verdes, Los Angeles County. (JDA-LB)
21. APPROVAL OF MINUTES.
22. COMMISSIONERS' REPORTS.
23. CONSERVANCY REPORT.
24. SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS CONSERVANCY REPORT.
25. SANTA MONICA BAY RESTORATION REPORT.
26. DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL'S REPORT.
Future Meetings: The next meetings of the Coastal Commission are January 8-10, 2014, in San Diego, and February 12-14, 2014, in Central Coast area.