Streaming Video Home Page
Click Here to start
Blue Ribbon Task Force, Draft Meeting Agenda: November 18-19, 2009
(revised November 4, 2009)
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 9:30 a.m.
Thursday, November 19, 2009 at 8:30 a.m.
Red Lion Hotel Eureka*
1929 Fourth Street
Eureka, CA 95501
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885.
Public Participation: Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp for more information.
Public comment: The public will be invited to offer general comments on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF), not specific to an agenda item, at approximately 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 18. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the number of requests; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force; comments related to other MLPA Initiative activities or groups should be directed to those bodies or MLPA staff.
Meeting Materials: Briefing documents will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted on this page as soon as they are available.
Red links indicate pages that require Adobe Reader.
- Receive charge from Secretary for Resources Mike Chrisman
- Receive an introduction to the MLPA South Coast Study Region (NCSR), including existing marine protected areas (MPAs) and the draft regional profile
- Review policy direction provided in previous study regions and discuss applicability to the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Receive briefing on the relationship between the Marine Life Protection Act and fisheries management in California
- Receive updates on the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT), MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (NCRSG), and MLPA Statewide Interests Group (SIG)
- Review methods for stakeholder involvement at both the statewide and regional levels
- Interact with and provide guidance to community representatives indicating an intent to submit marine protected area proposals for the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Potentially adopt a schedule of meetings to achieve the BRTF's charge
- Receive a briefing on the staffing and resource needs of the MLPA Initiative
- Review and potentially adopt a revised 2008-2011 budget
- Review and potentially adopt task force operating procedures and policies
- Potentially adopt a calendar of meetings for the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Receive an update on implementation of marine protected areas in other MLPA study regions
Meeting Agenda – November 18, 2009
Note: The task force will break for lunch at approximately 12:15 p.m. Public comment will be taken immediately following lunch at approximately 1:30 p.m.
Welcome, Review of Agenda, and Brief Introductions
I. Overview of the MLPA Initiative for the North Coast
- Mandate of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
- California’s Marine Life Protection Act and MLPA Initiative
II. MLPA and Fisheries Management in California
- Relationship between the Marine Life Protection Act and Fisheries Management
III. MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Master Plan Science Advisory Team
- MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
- MLPA Statewide Interests Group
- Stakeholder and Interested Public Participation
Potential Action: Adopt strategy for stakeholder and interested public participation in the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Introduction to Existing MPAs and the Draft Regional Profile
- Review of Policy Guidance from Previous Study Regions
- Stakeholder Panel – Title? Representatives of community groups that have indicated they plan to submit a proposal
IV. Task Force Operations
- Task Force Procedures and Policies
Motion and Vote
Potential Action: Adopt operating procedures for the BRTF
Potential Action: Adopt a policy on transparency for the MLPA Initiative
Potential Action: Adopt reimbursement guidelines for MLPA Initiative activities
L. Schedule of Meetings
Potential Action: Adopt a schedule of meetings for the north coast
M. MLPA Initiative Staffing and Resources
N. MLPA Initiative Budget
Potential Action: Adopt revised 2008-2011 MLPA Initiative budget
V. Implementation in Previous MLPA Study Regions
- MLPA South Coast, North Central Coast and Central Coast Study Regions
General Public Comment
Meeting Agenda – Thursday, November 19, 2009
The task force will begin a field trip at 8:30 a.m. and conclude no later than 2:00 p.m. Members of the public are welcome to join the task force members for all or part of the field trip, but must provide their own transportation. The field trip itinerary will be posted as soon as it becomes available.